Monday 11 January 2010

My Top 10 Reggae Breakz

As I haven't done a breakz post in a while and I've been listening to a lot of Reggae recently I thought I'd compile my top 10 Reggae Breakz. I'm not saying these are the most sampled Reggae Breakz or even the best but these are my favourite Reggae Breakz;

1 - Yellowman - Zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Classic Yellowman track from the album of the same name best utilised for Boogie Down Productions "P is Free" this was released in 1983 on the Shanachie label.

2 - Brentford All-Stars - Greedy G
Fantastic up beat Reggae / Ska tune used by BDP, Eric B and Rakim, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince and Ghostface amongst others. This was an early 1970s release by Studio 1's house band and apparently based on James Brown's Get on the Good Foot.

3 - Dave & Ansel Collins - Double Barrell
I am the Magnificent... this was taken form the 1971 album of the same name and was most notably used for the famous vocal sample at the start of the track by too many people to list here.

4 - Max Romeo and the Upsetters - Chase the Devil
Fantastic song from the album War Ina Babylon by Max Romeo and Lee Perry's backing band The Upsetters, released in 1976. This was also produced by Lee Scratch Perry and used on Jay-Z on Lucifer and also The Prodigy on Outa Space.

5 - Stranger Cole - These eyes (Crying every night)
Fantastic song from a 7" released on Baron records in 1971 and utilised by Hi-Tek on the first Reflection Eternal 12" Fortified Live.

6 - John Holt - I Will
Great Beatles cover by legendary Reggae artist John Holt taken from a Trojan Tribute to the Beatles and used on Jay-Z's Encore form the Black album.

7 - Barrington Levy - Under Me Sensei
The first of two track in this top ten by one of may favourites Reggae artists of the last twenty years or so Barrington Levy. This was released on the Thunder Bolt label in 1985 and was used by the Beastie Boys for Funky Boss from the Check your head album

8 - Wayne Smith - Under me Sleng Teng
A 1985 GreenSleeves release from Wayne Smith was used by the Prodigy for their track Weighin my Brain but the tune itself is a dope track with a nice synth beat.

9 - Barrington Levy - Minibus
Another dope track from Barrington this time from 1984 and released on Kingdom Records in the UK and used by DJ premier on the Afu Ra and Cocoa Brovas track D&D Soundclash.

10 - Rita Marley - One Draw
Rita Marley ode to weed to which was just begging to be sampled and who other than our favourite early nineties weed smokers, Cypress Hill better to use this on I Wanna get High. This was taken form the 1981 Rita Marley album Who feel is knows it on Shanachie.


Check the link below for the whole top ten. If you have some recommendations let me know in the comments

Under me Sleng Teng

No comments:

Jazz is Dead Volume 1 review

Title: Jazz Is Dead Volume 2 Artist: Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad featuring various artists Release date: 20th March 2020 ...